A New Life in Seattle

A New Life in Seattle
August, 2018

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Why I've Withdrawn Nobility From Award Consideration

Right now I'm too upset to write anything but a short post. But know this:

I had the honor of seeing Nobility included in the list of finalists for Best Novella in the efestival of words this year. But the high that arose from that honor crashed fast when I received an email from a relative of another finalist in a different category. They were thinking of voting for Nobility...and wondered if I was thinking of voting for his book.

The wording was subtle and careful but the message could not have been clearer: vote for us, we'll vote for you.

Well, my book is called Nobility and my vote is not for sale. I'm here to write, not to engage in literary politricks. I won't name the writer or say a word against him. But, to my way of thinking, this festival's been compromised and I can't be a part of it this year. Not with my novel and not with my votes.



6 comments:

  1. This is disturbing. I don't blame you - years ago I got fed up with vote trading/solciting for a major SF award.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brad. When I look around at the writers I admire, I see gifted men and women, all working 24x7 not for self-aggrandizement but to deliver the goods to their readers and to perfect their talent, not their promotional wiles. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very frustrating, where you would like to have your work acknowledged to then find out it is politics and popularity. Good choice to step back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ben. It's a good to have a few stout souls behind me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Note: By accident I deleted a comment from one of the festival runners, along with my reply. I've emailed them about the accident.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome. Just keep them civil, please.